Monday 1 September 2014

THE DEVIL IN GREEN TOGA

I wrote this piece a decade ago after several attempt to overcome the horrible god called 'JAMB'. It caused an uproar in the media and I got an invitation from Funmi Iyanda on New Dawn after she read through. Recently, while I was searching for something in my archives, I stumbled at it and I decided to share on this platform. Enjoy and Comment!
Photo Credit: PartyOnWareHouse
So I applied…
Just as my colleagues did
With Faith, Hope, Pains and Anguish
First attempt I still mourn
The burial I hold strong in heart
To me, an eye opener it is

With caution and patience
My identity I filled
Making known to them
My true self
Not one thing I withheld
I’m a free man
Whose soul knows no guile

Before dawn, I stood
Checking the moving hand of time
I persevered like my Father’s sermon
Not to be driven by the power of sleep.
I yielded their papers,
At the entrance gate
Fervently waiting for the outpouring time
When seeds and weeds will separate

With smile, I re-plan
Burying the thought of my first reproach
I prepared, indeed
Good intent, my heart speaks
Deep calls into deep

Sunken becomes my heart as I read
Yet, I guide my hands jealously
No excuse, this time
Take no shit, man!
I must do well, rang in my head
For once, let me prove my innocence

In a jiffy,
I let go the burden of time
Leaving the sinful saints
Rack their empty skulls
Brooding, as though they know
In that unholy shell
Where our monitor turned villain

After much persuasion
I logged in with pleasure
The system truly acknowledged my presence
Hoping to see my undoubted success
Alas! My eyes doth see
The reverse of my heart
I grin as I left, but rotten within
How could? How could?
Were the words from my lips
Doth fate show me this evil?

Oh JAMB!
A threat you are, not to me
To those who relent, you become a pain
You glory, you turned down
Marauding beast you are
Causing pains to the virgin
I have become a sinful saint
Then, you smile
Hoping you’ve done well

Bravo!
You’ve grown, I thought
A devil in green toga
To the victim of injustice
That played in the game, I speak for
We’re heroes, no doubt
Be proud my pals
Soonest, we shall become the world greatest
Before long, our heroic deeds shall be known
We’re fighters of the war
For a new world

We shall not remain
A victim for long at the hand of JAMB
We shall break the JAMB
That keeps JAMB an overlord
We shall leap beyond its shores
For you victim of intellectual injustice
I pledge my support

July 30th, 2005; 4.40am

Lets connect:
Twitter- @jptalkslive #JPTalks

3 comments:

  1. Your lines leap with freshness.
    This decade old poetic glows
    With such radiance undisputed
    I find the "Jiffy" verse flowery
    I must confess the imagery beats my imagination
    Your thoughts are rich abd real...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you America arises! Like I said, I wrote this piece a decade ago out of pain, and a mind to cause change in the sector... I'm considering writing a Part2, now that I've triumph over the 'devil'... Lol! I hope to see more of your comment on this platform. JP

      Delete