Wednesday 10 September 2014

#BRINGBACKJONATHAN2015: MOCKERY OF THE POLITY


"In the western world, insensitive issues such as this will make presidents relinquish power..."


Words failed me when I saw the massive billboards, social media hype and campaign slogans for #BringBackGoodLuck2015 for the coming election. To me, it is the most disgustful slogan I have ever come across at this period in our nation when we are  still clamouring for the release of over 250 Chibok girls taken away by the Boko Haram insurgents. It is a big mockery on the Nigerian populace and I feel Nigerians should wake up and be more sensitive to issues like this.

Most of the times, government especially politicians feel Nigerians hate them, not at all. What we desire is to see a Nigeria we would be proud of. I want to be proud of the policies, actions and leadership; I want to be a proud Nigerian. Recently, when we encountered the Ebola issue, we could see the Federal Government and state government working hand in hand to get things resolved. I was happy and Nigerians commended both parties for a job well done. But within me, I feel it is just a "BojuBoju" thing, because it is affecting the 'Mighty' and power that be. Lol!!! It is my POV! And it is the fact!!! No apologies!


Moreover, I want to believe that a communication company handled this #BringBackGoodLuck2015 campaign. This is indeed a failed strategy and very unprofessional. Secondary school students will never project such. It is sheer commonsense nah!!! Let me enlighten the communication company on their job a bit. Their duty basically is to communicate the message to all its stakeholders, or public which should be coherent, credibile and ethical. 

The Washington Post tagged it as 'the most inappropriate political hashtag of the year'. Read further what WP says...
"#BringBackOurGirls awoke the world to the ravages of Boko Haram, an al-Qaeda-linked terror group in Nigeria, and the plight of the millions of people who live in the midst of their insurgency. At the heart of the message were hundreds of missing schoolgirls, abducted in April from the remote village of Chibok by Boko Haram fighters, who vowed to make them into slaves. The #BringBackOurGirls hashtag channeled both sympathy from abroad and local outrage and concern in Nigeria, with many angry at the government of President Goodluck Jonathan for being unable to free the captured women..."

PhotoCredit: AFP/Getty Images

In the western world, insensitive things such as this will make presidents relinquish power. I just hope this is not a misguided effort at creativity. But if I were GEJ, I would humbly RESIGN! CASE CLOSED!!!


Lets connect:
Twitter- @jptalkslive #JPTalks

2 comments:

  1. You capture the collossal insensitivity characteristic of Nigerian political class. It shows, in no equivocal term, disdain meted out to the polity by a government which celebrate injustice. Good piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you America rises! I was almost moved to tears when I saw the campaign slogan at this time when mothers, fathers are crying, and the nation weeps for the girls we may never see again, except Heaven smiles on us. And one political strategist went ahead to project that as a strategy to win an election??? It's a shame!!! If these girls are not brought back there should be no election!!! Nigerians must stand together to fight this insensitive leaders. I'm pained! JP

      Delete